Friday, May 4, 2012

Farms-to-Forks-to-Farms


Farm-to-Fork-to-Farm
Title: Organic Diversion Adds Collingswood Restaurants to Food Waste Composting Program
Entertainment Close-up 27 Apr. 2012


Summary: A recycling company, Organic Diversion, has recently started the Farm-to-Fork-to-Farm program in Collingswood, NJ. There are currently six restaurants participating.This program recycles the waste from restaurants  and makes it compost for local farms. The compost helps grow crops on the farms which is then used in the restaurants. Things continue in that cycle which helps keep waste out of landfills. Not only is it helping the environment but  it also reduces the disposal cost for the restaurants.  

A picture showing all the different things in a compost.

One of the restaurants participating in Farms-to-Forks-to-Farms, Bistro DiMarino.


Opinion: I think that this is a great way to recycle! It was a great idea by Organic Diversion to use restaurant waste as compost. Compost is just decayed organic matter used as plant fertilizer. The restaurants are helping the farms, the farms are helping the restaurants, and they are both helping the environment. If i was a restaurant owner i would definitely  participate in this program. It is great because it helps the environment and helps the restaurant owners save money.

Questions:
1. If you were a restaurant owner would you participate in this program?
2. Do you use compost at home?If yes do you think it works well? If no would you ever consider using it?
3. Do you think this is a good program? Why or why not?
4. What are some other ways restaurant waste could be used?

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this article! I found it very interesting. this is something i had never heard of before. I think that this is a great way to limit the amount of waste that ends up in landfills and still having a good use.
    question three: I think this is an amazing program! It honestly is the perfect solution. It's a cycle that helps all affected parties as well as the environment. This is a positive solution all around and i think more restaurants should be educated on it as well as be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question 3: I would definitely participate in the program if I was a restaurant owner because it is really a win-win. Just by sending my waste to be compost to help the farm, I could get crops to use in my meals. In this situation everyone benefits; me, the farmers, and the environment so participating in this program is a no brainer.

    I think that this is a really good and effective way to recycle and use waste to help the environment. If we can find a way, like this one, to turn our waste into a positive fertilizer or resource then we will live in a cleaner and healthier world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is really interesting. It shows a great example of how people in a community can get together and do something great to help the environment. As we learned in class, recycling is very important and I feel that all restaurant owners should take this into consideration. They will not lose anything from doing this, but benefit instead.

    Response to question 1: If I were a restaurant owner I would definitely join this program without thinking twice about it. I would save money by having less waste, and I would be putting that waste to good use. It would be neat to have a compost right out side our restaurant. And it be even greater knowing that I was helping the environment more and more each day!

    ReplyDelete