Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Alaska Airline


This article focused on Alaska Airlines switching to bio fuel.  Bio fuels are alternative energy sources that help the environment.  This airline uses already used cooking oil in place of the usually fossil fuels.  By doing so this holds a smaller pollution rate. There are many benefits to using bio fuels other than the environmental impact though. For example an economical benefit is that this is an inexpensive alternative. It also would create many jobs by opening a new industry that will hopefully, one day, be very common and successful. Alaska air lines stated that they think that all commercial airlines should switch to bio fuels because they are all equipped to make the switch. Alaska Airlines flights’ take place on the west coast mostly in Washington and Oregon and plan to expand their “green” flights.
       

This is a picture of one of the planes within the airline. The picture on the left shows the logo of the plane powered by biofuel as it says.
I personally believe that this is a great idea and that all airlines should follow suit. Fossil fuels are very harmful and outrageously expensive. This idea is a smart fix for both situations. If there is any way to limit environmental damage I think they should be done. I feel that if air lines begin to use an alternative source eventually others will go along and hopefully before you know it cars will no longer be using fossil fuels to fuel their cars. This is a great idea and I think that more Airlines should do it to!

1.       What is a down side to using this bio fuel?
2.       Is there any other airlines doing this?
3.       Would you fly on a planes powered by bio fuels?
4.       What is another example a bio fuel?

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! It seems like it could solve a lot of problems with pollution. It also seems like it is easy to switch. It is great because like Holly said it would create more jobs.
    Question3: I would fly on a plane powered by bio fuels. I would not want to be the first one to do so but since it has been going i would definitely try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is such a good idea because cooking oil is clean for the environment, cheap, and creative. The oil for planes is really expensive and is hurting our environment so it is a good idea to try alternative energies.

    Question 3: I would probably fly on a plane using cooking oil now that I know it is safe, but I agree with Syd that I would definitely not want to be the first one on the plane. Now that Alaskan Airlines has proven the planes to be safe, they have a good resource for alternative, clean, energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is such a good idea because cooking oil is clean for the environment, cheap, and creative. The oil for planes is really expensive and is hurting our environment so it is a good idea to try alternative energies.

    Question 3: I would probably fly on a plane using cooking oil now that I know it is safe, but I agree with Syd that I would definitely not want to be the first one on the plane. Now that Alaskan Airlines has proven the planes to be safe, they have a good resource for alternative, clean, energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this article interesting and I also think that this sounds like a great idea! I always hear talk of how a lot more of the things we humans use in our daily life should become eco-friendly, but I never see any change. This seems like it would make a big impact on the Earth since so many people choose flying as a way of transportation.

    Question 3: Yes, I would fly on an airplane powered by bio fuels. Since this type of energy is safe, passengers will not even be able to tell a difference. Hopefully in the future, many airlines will switch to alternative fuels and everyone will have a chance to fly on an airplane fueled by cooking oil for example. Airlines will not only be saving money, but helping the planet too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how awesome! Loved the article! I'm going to Alaska this summer so I wonder If i'll take a plane that has biofuel! I think all airports should do this, it's a wonderful idea! As long as we can regenerate more than what is used, then airplane companies should be making the switch today. Also, to go off with the fact if planes start to do this, then cars may and I just think that's a great idea! Less pollution, the better!

    Question 1: As I said above, as long as we can make more biofuel then what is used then companies should be switching over. If not, then this can be a downside. As we learned in class, Oil is limited so we may run out soon, so if this has the downfall of not being able to regenerate then its good for the time it lasts, but we need to be sparse with it and make sure we will not run out completely.

    ReplyDelete