Tuesday, March 27, 2012


Acids
Title: “Acids and Alkalis”
Author: Author Unknown
Publication: BBC
Date: 3/27/12

Summary:    Most people think all acids are bad and harmful but that is not true. There are acids in some of the foods we eat. Acetic acid or ethanoic acid is found in vinegar and citric acid is found in fruits like lemons and oranges. Acids are found in many household items like batteries, oven cleaners, and tea. There are many acids that are not harmful but there are some acids that are dangerous. Concentrated sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide are some of the dangerous acids. Dangerous chemicals and acids are always marked so don’t worry, you will always know.




These are some of the foods that contain citric acid.



This is a sign to show a dangerous or harmful acid.


Opinion:        Personally before learning about acids in science and reading this article I thought all of them were harmful. I would never have been able to guess that there is acid in simple thing like tea. I also didn’t know acid was in cleaners but it is good to know that they are the not the harmful kind. It was interesting and crazy to read that they have acids that can burn through skin to get to the skeleton. It is also slightly scary that we have acids that powerful. I guess who ever it handling it must be extremely cautious.

Questions:
1.      Have your views/opinions of acids changed after learning more about them?
2.      What are two good acids and two harmful acids?
3.      Can you name any household acids that were not mentioned in the article?

4 comments:

  1. I found this article to be very interesting! Acids can be extremely dangerous, but they are also part of our everyday life. I personally love fruits and I found it very interesting that there are acids in them. It's important to know what acids are good and which ones are harmful.i found it interesting that certain acids can actually be taken to help you settle your stomach. Acids are often thought of as dangerous and holds a negative title, but that is not always the case.

    Question:2 there are many good and bad acids. One good acid is citric acid; this is what is found in various fruits. Another helpful acid is magnesium hydroxide. This is used to calm indigestion. Although these acids are beneficial to the health and well being of people there is also many dangerous acids such as sodium hydroxide. This is used to remove skin from a body and that could cause a lot of harm if not handled properly. Another harmful acid is sulfuric acid which is extremely corrosive. It is important to recognize which are helpful and harmful so that you do not put your health at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was very interesting because it highlighted the bad acids, but it also talked about the acids that aren't harmful or could even be helpful. It was so interesting to find out that so many common household objects have acids in them too. I totally agree with Syd that when most people, like me, think of acid they think bad and dangerous, but this article really opened my eyes to acids that are beneficial for us.

    Question 3: Common household objects containing acids are vinegar, mouthwash and aspirin. These are objects are thing we use everyday and don't think about being dangerous to out health because they aren't! It is good to know which acids are dangerous and which acids are safe to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article! I drink tea almost every morning but I would have never thought that there was acid in my tea. Also, to think I drink a 'Wild Berry' blend would make more sense of there being acids , but I just thought since tea is dried out, it wouldn't be acidic. Very interesting!

    Question 1: I wouldn't say my view on acids changed, but the fact that acids are in everyday life things we use would have never occurred to me if you hadn't posted this article. I am now more aware of acids being in simple things. This also corresponds with question 3, but it is also in aspirin (salicylic acid) which I never would had thought, and also in cosmetics my mother and I use (stearic acid and lauric acid).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article was really interesting! I also didn't know that some acids were bad. After reading this article, and learning about acids, neutrals and bases in class, I have a much better understanding.

    In response to question 3, a few other acids that I personally know of are Lemon Juice(Citric acid), Vinegar (Sulphuric acid), and Batteries (Acetic acid). Another acid that many people might not know about is Beer.

    ReplyDelete